01992 560 456
01992 560 456
Opening Hours
  • Monday8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Tuesday8:30 AM - 7:00 PM
  • Wednesday8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Thursday8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Friday8:30 AM - 1:30 PM

Blog

Haven House

Date: 23 January 2017

If you live in Woodford or the surrounding areas you are probably familiar with the name Haven House, and may even have visited their charity shop on Epping High Street. Haven House is a hospice in Woodford for children AGED 0-19 with life-limiting illnesses.

The charity supports both the children and  their families including any siblings and even extended family. The support they offer is extensive but is mainly in the form of therapies and respite as well as end of life care. They also organise events for the children and their families and they have a toy library where families can have a specialised toy on loan. These toys can be very expensive and many families cannot always afford the expense.

As we have done in previous years we opted to donate money to charity in place of Christmas cards. We made our donation to Haven House in December and we were invited to go along for a look around. We were shown around by Kate Donoghue who is the Community and Events Fundraiser for the hospice and we were really surprised. The large house is extremely light and airy and feels just like a family home - albeit a rather grand one. Their vision for the building has been truly recognised and all the staff and volunteers we encountered were friendly and welcoming. There are large grounds surrounding the house with wonderful facilities for the children well enough to use them and their siblings.

Haven House

The hospice receives just 23% of the money they need from government initiatives and they have to raise the remaining 77% themselves. They are currently running their own initiative called Mission 365 which is aimed at local businesses. They are asking these businesses to raise £1,598 (the cost of one nights care for a child at the hospice). We have signed up for the mission and will be fundraising for Haven House during 2017.

If you would like further information on how you can help the hospice you can reach their fundraising team on 0208 506 3638 or email them fundraise@havenhouse.org.uk or alternatively next time you have a bag of goods for the charity shop donate it to their shop in Epping.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *